GENUKI Home page    Elm Parish<br>main page Elm
Parish
main page

ELM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

"ELM is an extensive parish and village in the Isle of Ely, on the Wisbech canal, on the borders of Norfolk, 2 miles south, south-east from Wisbech, 9 from March and 87 north from London, in the Wisbech hundred, union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech, and in the diocese of Ely. The Coldham station of the London and North Eastern railway is in this parish.

Under the provisions of the Allotment Act of 1882, land in this parish is let out in allotments, viz. on the vicar's glebe, 9 acres 3 roods, divided into allotments of 1 rood each, and 27 acres granted by the trustees of the Elm United Charities, let out in unequal allotments. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are wheat and oats, with potatoes and fruit in large quantities. The area, including Coldham and Friday Bridge, is 11,355 acres of land and 35 of water; the population in 1921 was 2,738 in the civil and 1,383 in the ecclesiastical parish."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014