GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

ELM

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"ELM, a parish in the hundred of Wisbech, county Cambridge, 2 miles south-east of Wisbech, its post town and nearest railway station on the Great Eastern line. The Wisbech canal passes through the parish. The land is chiefly pasture and arable, with 25 acres of plantation. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £400, in the patronage of the bishop, who is lord of the manor. The parish church is a stone structure, with square tower surmounted by a spire. It is dedicated to All Saints. The register commences in 1550. There is also a district church at Friday Bridge, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The parochial charities produce about £200 per annum, above £50 of which is for education. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is an endowed school for boys. A tesselated pavement was found adjoining Needham Hall, which was taken down in 1804. In the vicinity numerous Roman coins have been found."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Military History

Names (Geographical)

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014