Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"ELSWORTH is a parish on the Huntingdonshire border of the county, 6 miles south-by-west from St. Ives station on the London and North Eastern and London, Midland and Scottish railways, about 10 west from Cambridge and 8 south-east from Huntingdon, in the hundred of Papworth, petty sessional division of Caxton, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil of this neighbourhood is stiff clay, anrd the subsoil blue gault, with chalk, stones and flints. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 3,839 acres ; the population in 1921 was 487.
On March 7, 1902, part of the area of the Elsworth Holy Trinity ecclesiastical parish, without houses or population at the time of the Census, was transferred to the ecclesiastical parish of Conington St. Mary."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]