"ELSWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-east of Caxton, and 10 north-west of Cambridge. St. Ives is its post town, and the Offord station on the Great Northern line is about 7 miles to the west of the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £480. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a handsome structure, with a lofty tower and pinnacles. The register commences in 1540. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, £52 of which is an endowment for Franklin's almshouses. Here is a chapel belonging to the Particular Baptists, and a National school for both sexes, also an Infant school. Philip Gardner, Esq., is lord of the manor."