Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Ely Holy Trinity

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Ely Holy Trinity

Error in locmapphp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy

ELY HOLY TRINITY

"ELY HOLY TRINITY, a parish in the town of Ely."

"ELY WESTMOOR FEN, in the parish of Ely Holy Trinity, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge."

"STUNTNEY, a chapelry in the parish of Ely Holy Trinity, city of Ely, hundred of Ely, and Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 1½ mile south-east of Ely, its post town. The village is situated about half a mile from the river Ouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. Cromwell lived at the rectory in 1637.

(See also Stuntney Parish pages)"

"WITCHAM GRAVEL, a hamlet in the parish of Ely Holy Trinity, hundred of South Witchford, county Cambridge, 6 miles west of Ely. It is situated in Ely Byall Fen, and is within the jurisdiction of the city."

Cemeteries

  • The rough list of monumental inscriptions taken from the graveyard is recorded in the Cambridge Records Office.

Census

Churches

  • Holy Trinity Church, Ely.

Church History

  • "Holy Trinity church, formerly the Lady Chapel of the cathedral, is a rectangular edifice of stone, consisting of five cathedral bays, in the Late Decorated style, and was begun in 1321, by John Wisbech, a monk, from a design by Alan de Walsingham, then subprior, and finished in 1349;its unusual position, northward of the choir, is owing to the circumstance of a public road passing over the ground at the east end of the cathedral which would have otherwise have been its site, and which would then have made this cathedral the longest in the world; the interior of the church, to the level of the window sills, is surrounded by a singularly beautiful arcading of canopied ogee arches, richly feathered and inclining forward; the spaces between the windows which are of great size, with finely conceived tracery, are similarly treated, and above spreads a superb vaulting intricately groined, and studded with bosses, illustrating the history of the Virgin, and other subjects; the east window is of seven, and the west is of eight lights; exterior space above each is filled with an arcade of nine crocketed arches, and at the west end a similar arcade extends below the window, with other arches and shields at the sides; the whole of these arches retain moulded pedestals, but of the 32 figures which they once supported, none now exist; the building is 100 feet long by 46 wide and 60 feet high, its only fault being its undue width, but this is amply compensated for by the wonderful and exquisite beauty of it's parts and especially for the ' gorgeous and unrivalled series of stone stalls, ' which constitute its choicest feature; there is one bell, dated 1648, and a sanctus bell, inscribed ' Abe gracia plena;' these, however, are not hung above the church, but in a belfry at the school opposite: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559."
    [Kelly's Directory - 1900]

Church Records

  • Church of England
    • Ely Holy Trinity: Records of baptisms 1599-1877, marriages 1559-1881, burials 1599-1863 and banns 1754-1881 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1602-52, 1662-1859 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1559-1812, marriages 1754-1792 (trascripts unindexed exist for 1559-1753) and burials 1559-1812.

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

  • Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948.

Error in churchphp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy

Churches

Error in churchphp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy

Description and Travel

Error in piclinkphp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy

Historical Geography

Error in histgeophp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy

Maps

Error in maplinkphp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy

Societies

Error in fhslistphp: No place with a key CAMElyHTy