ELY HOLY TRINITY
"ELY HOLY TRINITY, a parish in the town of Ely."
"ELY WESTMOOR FEN, in the parish of Ely Holy Trinity, Isle of Ely, county
"STUNTNEY, a chapelry in the parish of Ely Holy Trinity, city of Ely, hundred of
Ely, and Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 1½ mile south-east of Ely, its post town.
The village is situated about half a mile from the river Ouse. The living
is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £150, in the patronage
of the dean and chapter. Cromwell lived at the rectory in 1637.
Stuntney Parish pages)"
"WITCHAM GRAVEL, a hamlet in the parish of Ely Holy Trinity, hundred of South
Witchford, county Cambridge, 6 miles west of Ely. It is situated in Ely Byall
Fen, and is within the jurisdiction of the city."
- The rough list of monumental inscriptions taken from the graveyard is recorded in
the Cambridge Records Office.
- Holy Trinity Church, Ely.
- "Holy Trinity church, formerly the Lady Chapel of the cathedral, is a rectangular
edifice of stone, consisting of five cathedral bays, in the Late Decorated style,
and was begun in 1321, by John Wisbech, a monk, from a design by Alan de Walsingham,
then subprior, and finished in 1349;its unusual position, northward of the choir,
is owing to the circumstance of a public road passing over the ground at the east
end of the cathedral which would have otherwise have been its site, and which would
then have made this cathedral the longest in the world; the interior of the church,
to the level of the window sills, is surrounded by a singularly beautiful arcading
of canopied ogee arches, richly feathered and inclining forward; the spaces between
the windows which are of great size, with finely conceived tracery, are similarly
treated, and above spreads a superb vaulting intricately groined, and studded with
bosses, illustrating the history of the Virgin, and other subjects; the east window
is of seven, and the west is of eight lights; exterior space above each is filled
with an arcade of nine crocketed arches, and at the west end a similar arcade extends
below the window, with other arches and shields at the sides; the whole of these
arches retain moulded pedestals, but of the 32 figures which they once supported,
none now exist; the building is 100 feet long by 46 wide and 60 feet high, its only
fault being its undue width, but this is amply compensated for by the wonderful and
exquisite beauty of it's parts and especially for the ' gorgeous and unrivalled series
of stone stalls, ' which constitute its choicest feature; there is one bell, dated
1648, and a sanctus bell, inscribed ' Abe gracia plena;' these, however, are not
hung above the church, but in a belfry at the school opposite: there are 600 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1559."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Ely Holy Trinity:
Records of baptisms 1599-1877, marriages 1559-1881, burials 1599-1863 and banns
1754-1881 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the
years 1602-52, 1662-1859 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed
transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1559-1812, marriages
1754-1792 (trascripts unindexed exist for 1559-1753) and burials 1559-1812.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 18.25 on Sunday, 11 November 2012, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]