"CHETTISHAM, a hamlet or chapelry in the parish of Ely St. Mary, city of Ely, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles north of Ely, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £65, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
"The Church of St. Mary, standing at a short distance from the cathedral, is a building of stone in the transitional and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of seven bays, aisles, south transept, north porch and a western tower with hexagonal spire of the Decorated period, containing a clock and 8 bells, of which the 7th was cast in 1670, the third in 1766, and all the others in 1781: in the chancel is an arcaded double piscina and canopied sedilia; a smaller but similar piscina remains in the south transept: on the south-west buttress of the tower is a tablet recording the burial of five persons who were executed at Ely in 1816 for robberies at Ely and Littleport during the riots in May of that year: the church was rebuilt about 1215, by Bishop Eustachius, on the site of a former church; the arches of the nave arcades may be his work, but the heavy circular pillars are not improbably part of the original structure; the curious mixture in this church of Norman and Early English features in the arches and columns, is perhaps unique: the building was restored in 1878-9 at a cost of £2,597, and a vestry was added in 1899: it affords 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1670." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
"The church of Chettisham St. Michael and All Angels is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch amd a western turret containing one bell; the church was restored in 1889, and a new roof added at a cost of £799: there are 79 sittings, nearly all being free. The register of baptisms dates from 1701 and marriages 1754; burials are registered at St. Mary's in Ely." [Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
Ely St Mary: Records of baptisms 1670-1880, marriages 1670-1868, burials 1670-1888 and banns 1763-1885 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1559-1648, 1661-1853 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms & burials 1599-1649, 1661-71 and marriages 1754-64 as well as indexed transcripts for marriages 1599-1754. The parish record transcripts for Ely St Mary are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
Chettisham, St. Michael and All Angels: Records of baptisms 1700-1812, marriages 1713-1911 and burials reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives earlier entries plus baptisms 1723-50 and marriages 1743 exist in the Ely St Mary registers. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1613 and 1750-1850 (no burials) can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1700-1812, marriages 1713-1809, and burials 1702-63. Additional indexed transcripts exist for the Bishop's Transcripts of baptisms 1813-1837, marriages 1600-13 and 1816-37.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948.