ELY ST. MARY
"ELY ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Ely"
"CHETTISHAM, a hamlet or chapelry in the parish of Ely St. Mary, city of Ely, in
the county of Cambridge, 2 miles north of Ely, its post town. The living is a
perpetual curacy, value £65, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is
dedicated to St. Michael."
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The Church of St. Mary, standing at a short distance from the cathedral, is a building
of stone in the transitional and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried
nave of seven bays, aisles, south transept, north porch and a western tower with
hexagonal spire of the Decorated period, containing a clock and 8 bells, of which
the 7th was cast in 1670, the third in 1766, and all the others in 1781: in the chancel
is an arcaded double piscina and canopied sedilia; a smaller but similar piscina
remains in the south transept: on the south-west buttress of the tower is a tablet
recording the burial of five persons who were executed at Ely in 1816 for robberies
at Ely and Littleport during the riots in May of that year: the church was rebuilt
about 1215, by Bishop Eustachius, on the site of a former church; the arches of the
nave arcades may be his work, but the heavy circular pillars are not improbably part
of the original structure; the curious mixture in this church of Norman and Early
English features in the arches and columns, is perhaps unique: the building was restored
in 1878-9 at a cost of £2,597, and a vestry was added in 1899: it affords 500 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1670."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- "The church of Chettisham St. Michael and All Angels is a small but ancient building of rubble
in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch amd a western
turret containing one bell; the church was restored in 1889, and a new roof added
at a cost of £799: there are 79 sittings, nearly all being free. The register of
baptisms dates from 1701 and marriages 1754; burials are registered at St. Mary's
[Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Ely St Mary:
Records of baptisms 1670-1880, marriages 1670-1868, burials 1670-1888 and banns
1763-1885 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the
years 1559-1648, 1661-1853 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Transcripts
exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms & burials 1599-1649, 1661-71 and
marriages 1754-64 as well as indexed transcripts for marriages 1599-1754. The parish
record transcripts for Ely St Mary are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Chettisham, St. Michael and All Angels:
Records of baptisms 1700-1812, marriages 1713-1911 and burials reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives
earlier entries plus baptisms 1723-50 and marriages 1743 exist in the
Ely St Mary registers. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1613 and 1750-1850
(no burials) can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts
exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1700-1812, marriages 1713-1809, and
burials 1702-63. Additional indexed transcripts exist for the Bishop's Transcripts
of baptisms 1813-1837, marriages 1600-13 and 1816-37.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 20.52 on Wednesday, 04 September 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]