"FEN DITTON, (or Ditchton Fen), a parish in the hundred of Flendish, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles north-east of Cambridge, its post town. It is situated on the river Cam, and the railway to Ely passes through the parish. This was formerly a market town, by virtue of a charter granted to the bishops of Ely in 1270. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £404, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The tithes were commuted under an Enclosure Act in 1803. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. An almshouse for six widows was built in 1665 by one of the Willeys family.