"FOXTON, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-east of Royston, its post town, and 7 south of Cambridge. It is situated near the river Cam, and is a railway station on the Great Eastern line. This village was once of considerable importance, hut the market has for many years been discontinued. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £79, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is a structure of the 15th century, dedicated to St. Lawrence. The parochial charities, arising from lands, yield about £12 per annum. Captain Bendyshe is lord of the manor. Barrington Hall is the principal residence. A fair is held on Easter Monday."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Lawrence is an ancient edifice of flint in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 very fine toned bells, made by Miles Graye in 1654 the eastern triplet is a very beautiful specimen of Early English work, and the other windows retain some fragments of good 14th century glass: there is a large double piscina in the chancel and opposite it a singular recess like a sedile: the rood staircase is in perfect condition: in the north aisle are two Decorated brackets, and in the south aisle a piscina: the font is of very early date: in the latter part of the 14th century the church possessed the privilege of sanctuary: it was restored in 1881, at a cost of £3,000, and has 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1671."
"There is a Wesleyan chapel here." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Foxton, St. Lawrence: Records of baptisms 1699-1977, marriages 1694-1974, burials 1678-1927, and banns 1754-1823 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1599-1680, 1695-1891, marriages 1599-1680, 1693-1892 and burials 1599-1680, 1678-1891. The indexed transcripts of the registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1801 and 1813-73 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
"A cross of Cornish granite was erected in 1922, on a site given by Dr Briggs as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, in whose memory also a recreation ground of about 3 acres was opened. A charter granted to the De La Hayes in 1325 gave them the privilege of holding a market here and two fairs, one at the feast of St. Peter and St. Paul, the other at the feast of St. Andrew; this charter was confirmed in 1326; but there is now only one fair, which is held at Easter." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm) and 1810-1948.