GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

FULBOURN

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"FULBOURN, comprises the parishes of All Saints and St. Vigor, in the hundred of Flendish, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-east of Cambridge, its post town, and 9 south-west of Newmarket. It is a station on the Great Eastern line of railway. Fulbourn formerly had two churches, All Saints and St. Vigor's, standing in close proximity to each other, but one having fallen into decay was removed, and the one remaining is served by the two clergymen alternately. The village is considerable, and had formerly a guildhall. The land is almost wholly arable. The living of All Saints is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £253, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough; that of St. Vigor's is a rectory,* value £442, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The latter is the still existing church, and is an ancient stone edifice, containing numerous monuments and brasses, some as early as the 14th century. The register commences in 1763. The parochial charities consist of a school endowment producing nearly £40, and other bequests for the poor and various local objects, yielding about £2711 per annum. The Independents and Baptists have each a chapel, and there is a free school for both sexes. C. W. Townley, Esq., is lord of the manor. Fulbourn House is the principal residence. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1806."

"FULBOURN VALLEY, a farm house in the parish of Fulbourn, 1¼ miles south of Fulbourn."

"NEW SHARDELOWES, a hamlet in the parish of Fulbourn, 1½ miles south-east of Fulbourn."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

Poorhouses and Poor Law Etc

Taxation

Towns and Parishes

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014