Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"GAMLINGAY, a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Potton, containing 1256 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £ 5, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely: there is also a sinecure rectory, rated at £ 15.14.2., and in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Baptists. In this parish is an almshouse for eight poor widows, endowed with a bequest of £2000 South Sea Annuities, by Mrs. EJizabeth Lane; and a small charity school has a trifling en- dowment. A market was formerly held here, but it has for many years been discontinued, having been transferred to the neighbouring town of Potton, in Bedfordshire."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]