GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

GAMLINGAY

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"GAMLINGAY, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge, 6 miles south-west of Caxton, and 6 south-east of St. Neot's, its post town. It is a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North-Western railway. The parish includes the hamlet of Woodbury. Previous to the 17th century this was a market town, and in possession of the Avenell and St. George families. The living is a vicarage* and rectory in the diocese of Ely, the former of the value of £288, in the patronage of the bishop, and the latter of £256, in the patronage of Merton College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a handsome altar-piece, formerly in Ely House, London. There are almshouses for 10 persons, having an endowment of £60 per annum, bequeathed by Mrs. Elizabeth Lane, and other charities producing about £10. There are chapels belonging to the Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists; also National and British schools for both sexes."

"WOODBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Gamlingay, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-west of Caxton."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014