"GIRTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 2½ miles east of Dry Drayton, and 3 north-west of Cambridge, its post town. It is situated on a tributary of the river Ouse. The Histon station, on the Cambridge and St. Ives branch of the Great Eastern railway, is about 1 mile north-east of the village, which is small and chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £446. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £420. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone structure with embattled tower. It has two brasses of the latter part of the 15th century. The register commences in 1512. The parochial charities realise about £50 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, partly endowed. Sir St. Vincent Cotton, Bart., of Madingley Hall, is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Andrew is a building of rubble and stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: there are piscinæ in the chancel and south aisle: the south porch has a parvise of later date and a turret with door at the south-west angle the tower is a heavy structure carried on three arches with a polygonal tower reaching half way up on the southern face: there are brasses in the church to former rectors, with effigies in processional vestments, dated respectively 1497 and 1492: the church was restored in 1853 and the chancel decorated about 1899: through the bequest of Miss Coombe, the daughter of a former rector, the church was completely restored and a new organ installed in 1926-7, at 5 cost of £2,000: there are 210 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1629; marriages, 1630. A memorial of Portland stone in the churchyard bears the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18." "There is a Baptist chapel here." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Girton, St. Andrew: Records of baptisms 1630-1983, marriages 1630-1996, burials 1630-1986 and banns 1754-1811, 1824-1987 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1640, 1662-1852 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms, marriages, and burials 1599-1908. The transcripts from the bishop's transcripts and parish register, 1599-1908, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Girton which are provided by:
"Girton College, incorporated in 1924 by royal charter, was first opened at Hitchin in 1869 and removed to its present buildings in October, 1873: they are of plain red brick, on the Huntingdon road, about 1½ miles from Cambridge, and were erected by voluntary contributions: the charge for board, lodgings and tuition is £50 per term. In the course of the year ending June, 1928, there were 182 students in residence." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1880-1948.