GENUKI Home page    Girton Parish<br>main page Girton
Parish
main page

GIRTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

"GIRTON is a parish and village, on a feeder of the Ouse, close to the road from Cambridge to Huntingdon, 2 miles south-west from Histon station on the St. Ives and Cambridge line of the London and North Eastern railway and 2½ north-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of North Stowe, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The soil is principally heavy ; the subsoil, clay, producing excellent crops of all descriptions of grain. The area is 1,681 acres ; the population in 1921 was 642."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014