"GIRTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 2½ miles east of Dry Drayton, and 3 north-west of Cambridge, its post town. It is situated on a tributary of the river Ouse. The Histon station, on the Cambridge and St. Ives branch of the Great Eastern railway, is about 1 mile north-east of the village, which is small and chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £446. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £420. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone structure with embattled tower. It has two brasses of the latter part of the 15th century. The register commences in 1512. The parochial charities realise about £50 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, partly endowed. Sir St. Vincent Cotton, Bart., of Madingley Hall, is lord of the manor."