Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"GRANTCHESTER, in Domesday 'Grantesete' and 'Grauntsethe,' and supposed by some to be the 'Grantaceaster' of Bede, is a parish and village, pleasantly situated on the west bank of the river Cam or Granta, 2½ miles south-west from Cambridge town, 3½ south-west from Cambridge railway station, in the Western division of the county, Wetherley hundred, Chesterton union, Cambridge petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The Bourn Brook, which separates this parish from Haslingfield, here joins the Cam, which separates the parish from Trumpington.
The soil is for the most part clayey; subsoil, clay and in some parts gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 1,380 acres of land and 11 of water; the in 1921 was 489 in the civil parish and also in the ecclesiastical parish.
In 1912, by Local Government Board Cambridge (Extension) Order, 1911, an area of 167 acres from this parish was added to the borough of Cambridge far civil purposes."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]