"GRAVELEY, a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-west of Caxton, and 6 south-east of Huntingdon, its post town. The Offord station on the Great Northern line of railway, is about 3 miles north-west of the village. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1802. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £312, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge, the master and fellows of which are the lords of the manor. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Botolph. The parochial charities, including £6 to Trotter's school, produce about £48 per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the village. Graveley Lodge is the principal residence."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Botolph is an ancient building, consisting of chancel and nave, north porch and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells: in 1910 the tower was underpinned and restored and the bells rehung in new frames: the chancel was rebuilt of red brick about the middle of the 18th century: the nave, which is late Early English, and the tower are constructed of rubble with stone dressings: the church was considerably repaired in 1874-6, and again in 1888, at a total cost of about £1,000, and affords 150 sittings. The churchyard was enlarged in 1913 The register dates from the year 1642." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Graveley, St. Botolph: Records of baptisms 1654-1907, marriages 1654-1939, burials 1654-2001 and banns 1755-1811, 1829-1939 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1599-1907, marriages 1599-1939 and burials 1599-1875 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives as well as indexed transcripts of the Bishop's Transcripts 1595-1665. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1644, 1663-81 and 1702-1855 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Parish register transcripts of Graveley, 1599-1939, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Primitive Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridge, Huntingdon and Bedford Record Offices for the St. Neots Primitive Circuit of which Eltisley is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Graveley which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-48.