"GREAT ABINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles north-west of Linton. Cambridge is the post town. It is situated on the south bank of the river Granta, 6 miles from the Chesterford station of the Great Eastern railway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £120, and in the patronage of T. Mortlock, Esq, whose seat is Abington Park. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is in the early English style.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient edifice of flint and rubble, chiefly in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, east porch and a south tower containing 2 bells: on the north side of the chancel is a monument with recumbent effigy in alabaster to Sir William Halton kt. of the Middle Temple, ob. 20th November, 1639: the church was repaired in 1895, at a cost of £500, and the south aisle in 1900, at a cost of £200: the church affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1664. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Great Abington, St. Mary the Virgin: Records of baptisms 1664-1892, marriages 1664-1983, burials 1664-1902, banns for 1754-1812 and 1823-1907 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for the years 1599-1844.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1653 and 1664-1849 can be found in the Cambridge University Library and indexed transcripts are available in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1599-1642 and marriages 1599-1641. The parish record transcripts for St Mary the Virgin 1599-1844 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Abington Hall, the residence of James John Emerson esq. J.P. is a handsome mansion, prettily seated in a well-timbered park of about 100 acres, through which flows the river Granta. James John Emerson esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1751, 1759-63, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.