[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"GREAT ABINGTON is a parish and village, on the south bank of the river Granta and on the main road from Cambridge to Linton and Haverhill, 1 mile east from Pampisford station on a branch of the London and North Eastern railway from Cambridge to Haverhill, 2¾ north-west from Linton, 8 north from Saffron Walden and 8 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil is chiefly light, but certain parts are heavy; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,558 acres; the population in 1921 was 219."