Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"GREAT EVERSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east of Caxton, and 5 south-west of Cambridge, its post town. It is situated near Bourn brook and Naro Way. Chalk is quarried, and fossils are found in great numbers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £59, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities produce about £3 per annum. The register commences in 1541. The Independents have a chapel, and there is a British school for both sexes. The President and Fellows of Queen's College, Cambridge, are the lords of the manor.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- St. Mary's Church, Great Eversden.
- "The church of St. Mary is a plain building of rubble in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower, with a short wooden spire covered with lead and a projecting belfry containing 3 bells: in the east wall of the chancel is a piscina, and on the other side a small aumbry: the rood staircase and upper door remain: there are some old benches, two having misereres, and a Jacobean pulpit: the church was restored about the year 1864, and again in 1920 at a cost of £370, and affords 175 sittings. The register dates from the year 1541."
- "The Congregational chapel was first founded in 1689; the present building was erected in 1845, at a cost of £1,000: in the chapel is a tablet to the Rev. Francis Holcraft M.A. who was imprisoned for nearly nine years, in 1663, and at a later period for another three years, for preaching to an Independent congregation here: there are 500 sittings: the chapel is endowed with a bequest of about £200 in 3 per Cent. Consols, from Robert Leete esq. who also left a sum of £100 for the poor in connection with this place of worship, and another £100 was bequeathed by Stephen Leete esq. for the support of the ministry here."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Great Eversden, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1538-1812, marriages 1565-1991, burials 1541-1812 and banns for 1755-1844 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1538-1992, marriages 1565-1991, burials 1541-1990 and banns 1755-1990, the parish register transcripts, 1538-1992, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1678, 1702-1835 and 1855-61 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Great Eversden, Independent: Records of baptisms 1795-1836 (on microfilm) reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1797-1836, and transcripts for baptisms 1828-45, 1857-83 and 1904-18.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Great Eversden which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL362535 (Lat/Lon: 52.162934, -0.010151), Great Eversden which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-48.