"GREAT SHELFORD, is a parish on the river Cam with a station on the main line from London to Cambridge of the Great Eastern railway, and is about 4 miles south by-east from Cambridge and 54 ½ from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Thriplow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
Charities:- The vicar and trustees hold in trust 11 cottages and 14 ½ acres of land, under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, 1890, for general charitable purposes; the income derived from these sources is now (1900) about £84 yearly. In this parish are nine contiguous wells, which supply Hobson's Conduit, Cambridge, with water. At the Granhams are traces of a Roman encampment. The Master and Fellows of Caius College are lords of the manor of Buristead. There are also two smaller manors, held by St. John's College and Major Edward Henry Greene-de-Freville. The principal landowners are Jesus College, Caius College and St. John's College, Cambridge; Henry Hurrell esq. of Madingley Hall; George Ezra Hawkins esq. of Middleton, Lynn, and Arthur Gee esq. of Shudy Camps Park, Linton. The soil is clay and chalky; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,258 acres; rateable value, £7,683; the population in 1891 was 1,020."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]