"GREAT SHELFORD, a parish in the hundred of Triplow, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east of Cambridge, its post town. It is a station on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern line of railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Granta, a branch of the river Cam, near Gogmagog Hill, and is chiefly agricultural. In the vicinity are extensive flour and oil-cake mills, also a brewery. There are nine wells in this parish, from which the town of Cambridge is chiefly supplied with water. The impropriate tithes belong to the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £112, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a tower and steeple, which last has been twice rebuilt, having been blown down in 1703, and again in 1798. The interior of the church contains a canopied brass, bearing date 1411. The parochial charities produce about £47 per annum. There are a National and a British school for both sexes. The Baptists have a place of worship. The Master and Fellows of Gonville and Caius College are lords of the manor. On a farm called Grannams, the property of St. John's College, are remains-of a Roman intrenchment.