GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

GREAT WILBRAHAM

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"GREAT WILBRAHAM, a parish in the hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 7 miles south-east of Cambridge, and 1½ mile north-east of the Fulbourn station on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway. The village is situated about 2 miles south of the Cambridge and Newmarket road. The surface is nearly level in the western part of the parish, but rises towards the south The soil is light but fertile, resting upon a substratum of chalk and gravel. The manor-house, now the residence of E. Hicks, Esq., is called the Temple, having once belonged to the Knights Templars. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £203. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a small Baptist chapel, and a National school.

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014