"HARLETON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, county Cambridge, 3 miles west of the Harston station on the Cambridge and Hitchen railway, and 6 south-west of Cambridge, its post town. The parish, which is small, is situated near the river Rhea, and on the old Roman road to Cambridge. The soil is clayey, and the land chiefly arable. It includes the township of Bagley. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value 2313, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a parochial school for both sexes, which has an endowment of £17 10s. per annum. Here is a meet for the Cambridgeshire hounds."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of the Assumption of the Virgin, erected about 1370, is an edifice of clunch in the transition style from Decorated to Perpendicular, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the reredos is in carved stone with shallow niches: there is a stone rood screen, and an embattled turret, with newel staircase, remains at the north-west angle and has a door opening upon the nave roof: the chancel contains a large piscina of Perpendicular date, and in the north porch is a mutilated stoup : a memorial window was erected in 1867 to the Rev. James Fendall M.A. rector from 1839 to i866: in 1869 an organ was erected by the Rev. 0. Fisher: the church underwent restoration in 1912 : there are 250 sittings, 160 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1636; marriages and burials, 1690." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Harlton, Assumption of the Virgin: Records of baptisms 15585-1629, 1639-1906, marriages 1574-1839, burials 1567-1812 and banns 1755-1812 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1585-1629, 1639-95, marriages 1574-1836 and burials 1567-1676 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1866 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1890-1948.