Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"HARSTON is a parish on the bank of the River Cam and on the London road, with a station, half a mile distant, on the Cambridge and Hitchin line of the London and North Eastern railway, 52½ miles from London and 5 south-south-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Triplow, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Chesterton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The village is well supplied with excellent water, derived from artesian wells.
The soil is chiefly of a chalky and gravelly character, and the subsoil is chiefly gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley; a large quantity of fruit is also grown here. The area is 1,733 acres of land and 8 of water; the population in 1921 was 713."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]