"HARSTON, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-west of Cambridge, its post town. The parish, which is small, is situated on the river Cam. It is a station on the Cambridge and Hitchin railway, and the London road passes through the parish. The soil is chalky, and the land principally arable. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1798. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £244, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with tower containing five bells."