[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HASLINGFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, county Cambridge, 5½
miles south-west of Cambridge, and 2 north of the Harston railway station. The
village is situated on the river Cam, which bounds the parish on the east. Dr.
Wendy is said to have had the honour of entertaining Queen Elizabeth in his
mansion here, now the property of Lord Delawarr. The tithes have been
commuted for a rent-charge of £650. The living is a vicarage* in the
diocese of Ely, value £650. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a
lofty embattled tower. It contains some monuments to Sir Thomas Wendy and
family. There is a National school, endowed by Simon Estman, a native of
Denmark, with £40 per annum, also an infant school. The other charities
produce £67 per annum."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"LORD'S BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Haslingfield and the hundred
of Chesterton, county Cambridge, 5½
miles from Cambridge. It is a station on the Cambridge, Bedford, and
Bletchley section of the London and North-Western railway."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The Monumental Inscriptions of All Saints inside the church for the years 1612-1947
and in the churchyard for the years 1744-1988 are recorded in the Cambridge Records
Office. The transcriptions of the monumental inscriptions are available, on microfiche,
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list available
- All Saints Church, Haslingfield.
- "The church of All Saints is a spacious edifice of clunch and stone in the Early
Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north
and south porches and a fine embattled western tower, erected stout 1460, with octagonal
pinnacles and a low spire and containing a clock and 5 bells the tower was restored
in 1898 at a cost of £700. and again in 1900 : the chancel dates from about 1300,
and its windows, as well as those in the aisles, retain some ancient glass: the aisle
roofs are very fine Early Decorated, with elaborate mouldings, flowing tracery and
rich foliaged bosses: the benches are all of carved oak : the chancel and nave were
restored in 1875-9, when two stained windows and a vestry and organ chamber were
added and the chancel roof decorated, at a cost of £1,650 : in the chancel are four
monuments to the Wendy family: the church affords about 700 sittings, 500 of which
are free. The register dates from the year 1709. "
- "There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Haslingfield, All Saints:
Records of baptisms 1709-1853, marriages 1710-1968, burials 1710-1961, banns for
1754-1969 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the
years 1599-1641 and 1661-1873 can be found in the Cambridge University Library, indexed
transcripts for the years 1599-1642 and 1661-1711 reside in the Cambridge Record
Office. Indexes to transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1709-1909,
marriages 1701-1836, 1837-1909, and burials 1709-1873, 1874-1929. The parish records
1599-1996 are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Methodist Church
War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1880-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 14.29 on Wednesday, 02 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]