"HAUXTON, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-west of Cambridge, and 1 mile from Harston railway station. It is a small agricultural parish and village situated on the banks of the Cam, near the Mill Bridge. The London road and the Great Eastern railway pass through the parish. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Newton, in the diocese of Ely, value together £164, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, has a Norman doorway. The charities produce £1 per annum."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Edmund, erected about 1130, is an edifice of clunch and rubble in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled Perpendicular western tower of rubble and masonry containing 3 bells: the north and south doorways and the chancel arch are Norman: the font consists of an octagonal basin on five shafts: there is a Decorated piscina and a plain sedile: the pulpit is partly constructed of old Perpendicular woodwork: on the south side of the chancel arch, within an arched recess, is a fresco of the 13th century representing St. Thomas a Becket and in excellent preservation: the church was restored about 1862 : Dowsing, the great enemy of ecclesiastical art in the 17th century, came here, 13th March, 1643, and destroyed a crucifix, three Popish pictures and a brass inscription: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Hauxton, St. Edmund: Records of baptisms 1561-1995, marriages 1560-1990, burials 1560-1993 and banns 1756-1876 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for the same years as the registers, except baptism which only go to the year 1842, also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Transcripts of the registers are available for the years 1560-1842 on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1802 and 1813-74 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Hauxton which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1880-1948.