Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"HILDERSHAM is a parish and pretty village on the river Granta, 1½ miles north-west from Linton station on the Cambridge and Melford branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 9 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district Of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, and archdenconry and diocese of Ely.
Hildersham Hall, the property and seat of Lady Miller, stands in a park consisting of 70 acres, well wooded and containing a piece of ornamental water. James Binney esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is gravel and chalk; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops ace wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,511 acres; the population in 1921 was 155."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]