GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

HILDERSHAM

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"HILDERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles north-west of Linton. The manor anciently belonged to the De Veres, carls of Oxford. The village, which is small, is situated on a small stream, a tributary to the river. Grants, or Cam. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £407. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £288. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure, with a fine east window. It contains several brasses to the Paris family, and effigies in oak of Sir Robert de Boteller and his lady; also a knight crusader of the 14th century. The Roman road from Cambridge to Colchester skirted the parish. This is supposed to have been the birth-place of Matthew Paris, the chronicler."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014