"HINXTON, a parish in the hundred of Whittlesford, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-west of Linton, and 9 south-east of Cambridge. The Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway passes near the village. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and some of the women in the working of muslin. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1820. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £150, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass of Sir T. Skelton, bearing date 1416. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum."