"HISTON, a parish in the hundred of Chesterton, county Cambridge, 5 miles north of Cambridge by the Cambridge and Wisbech section of the Great Eastern railway, on which it is a station. The village is considerable. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1806. The living consists of the vicarages* of St. Andrew and St. Etheldreda united, in the diocese of Ely, value £400. The church of St. Andrew is a cruciform structure, with a square embattled tower. The church of St. Etheldreda has long since been demolished. The Wesleyans have a place of worship and there is a National school. The parochial charities produce £80 per annum, of which £38 is the endowment to March's free school."