"HORNINGSEA, (or Hornsea), a parish in the hundred of Flendish, county Cambridge, 3; mile north-east of Cambridge, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the east bank of the river Cam. In former, times it belonged to the see of Ely. Here are the ruins of a priory called Biggin Abbey, which was destroyed by the Danes in 870, and afterwards given to the Hospital of St. John. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. On the enclosure of the parish in 1802, an allotment of land was given instead of tithes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a tower containing four bells. The register dates from 1628. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, supported by voluntary contributions.