"HORSEHEATH, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 3 miles from Linton, its post town, 5 from Haverhill, and 14 from Cambridge. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small agricultural village situated on the river Grants, and on the old Cambridge road. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £400, in the patronage of the Charter House at London. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is as ancient structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of Sir John do Argenteine, bearing date 1360, and a mural tablet to the late Lord Montfort. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. Horseheath Lodge, which is the principal residence, is situated about 1½ miles west of the village, and was formerly the seat of the Allingtons and Bromleys. There is a small chapel for Independents; also a National school."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of flint and rubble in the Gothic style of the 15th century, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: in the chancel is a 14th century brass of a knight in full armour, but the inscription is lost: on the south side of the chancel are monuments with effigies to Sir Giles Alington knt. master of the Ordnance, temp. Henry VIII. ob. 1586, and his son Gyles, both clad in armour; and on the north side a monument with effigies to Sir Giles Alington, ob. 1613, his wife Dorothy, and their in children, figures of whom surround the monument: there is also a tablet to one of the Bromleys, Barons Montfort of Horseheath, a title which became extinct on the death of Henry (Bromley); 3rd baron, April 30, 1851; a brass with mutilate effigy to Robert, son of Sir Giles Alington, ob. 1552 and Margaret (Coningsbie) his wife, and inscribed brasses to Joan Alyngton, sister and heir of John Argentein, ob. 1429, and to Mary (Cheyne), wife of John Alington, circa 1470: the church was restored and reseated in 1880-91, at a cost of £1,000: in 1911 six of the nave windows were completely restored at a cost of £166: there is a stone in the churchyard wall with the following inscription:-
"George V. R.I. our King, in mellow autumn tide Here viewed a bloodless fray; May duty, love and peace abide To bless him day by day
Army Manoeuvres, Sep. 18, 1912."
The church affords 190 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558."
"There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. " [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
Horseheath, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1558-1927, marriages 1558-1990, burials 1558-1924 and banns 1754-1813, 1823-1963 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1558-1927, marriages 1558-1836 and burials 1558-1924 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1649, 1662-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.The parish register transcripts for Horseheath All Saints 1558-1924 are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Horseheath which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.