GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

HORSEHEATH

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"HORSEHEATH, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 3 miles from Linton, its post town, 5 from Haverhill, and 14 from Cambridge. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small agricultural village situated on the river Grants, and on the old Cambridge road. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £400, in the patronage of the Charter House at London. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is as ancient structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a brass of Sir John do Argenteine, bearing date 1360, and a mural tablet to the late Lord Montfort. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. Horseheath Lodge, which is the principal residence, is situated about 1½ miles west of the village, and was formerly the seat of the Allingtons and Bromleys. There is a small chapel for Independents; also a National school."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014