Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"ICKLETON, a parish in the hundred of Whittlesford, county Cambridge, 11 miles south of Cambridge, 6 from Saffron Walden, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Chesterton station, on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. The old Roman road Icknield Street traversed this parish, and many Roman coins and remains of a villa, &c., have been found. The parish is partly bounded by a branch of the river Cam, which separates it from the county of Essex. It was formerly a market town, and the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded in the reign of Henry II. by the De Veres, or Cantelupes. At the Dissolution its revenues were returned at £80 Is. 10d. The village is considerable, but wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1810. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £85, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a lofty tower containing six bells. It is supposed to have been built before the Norman Conquest. The parochial charities produce about £69 per annum. The Hon. Mrs. Algernon Herbert is lady of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- "A cemetery of one acre was formed in 1883 at a cost of £500, with a chapel, and is under the control of the Parish Council. "
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Mary Magdalene 1731-1981 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St Mary Magdalene is a large building of stone in the Early Norman style, some portions being, however, of later date : it consists of chancel, nave, aisle, south transept, south porch and a central tower with a lofty spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, which were re-cast and rehung in 1928: in the north aisle is a memorial window to the Hon. Algernon Herbert, d. 11 June, 1855, and there is another, erected in 1906 to Sir Robert George Wyndham Herbert G.C.B., D.C.L. LL.D. d. 6 May, 1905: the walls bear some ancient frescoes, much obscured by time: on the jambs of the clerestory windows are various figures, and the tower ceiling is also painted : the nave arcades are supposed to be Saxon: a part of the rood loft and a screen of Perpendicular date remain, the under part of the rood loft being richly traceried : in 1886 a marble memorial was erected to Sir Leger Algernon Herbert C.M.G. war correspondent, who was killed at Abu Klea in the Soudan, January 17, 1885 : the chancel was entirely rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1882-3, and retains a piscina and sedilia, and in 1885 further restorations were effected by Sir Robert Herbert G.C.B. and others, the total cost amounting to £1,416: in 1908-9 the church was again restored, when new windows were put in, the roof of the nave renewed and a weather vane erected on the steeple: during the restoration a good deal of Norman and earlier work was discovered : the church affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558."
- "There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1842, which has 200 sittings, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1852."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Ickleton, St. Mary Magdalene : Records of baptisms 1558-1692, 1718-1969, marriages 1559-1691, 1718-1957, burials 1558-1692, 1718-1995 (including the cemetery 1914-81) and banns 1755-1970 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms, marriages and burials 1558-1880 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1640, 1660-1862 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.The parish register transcripts for Ickleton St. Mary Magdalene are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Ickleton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL492437 (Lat/Lon: 52.071530, 0.175478), Ickleton which are provided by:
- "In 1920 an obelisk of grey granite was erected on the village green, opposite the church, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.