[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"ICKLETON is a parish and village on the borders Essex, and a mile north from Great Chesterford station on the London and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway which is in this parish. 11 miles south from Cambridge, 7 south-west from Linton, 5 north from Saffron Walden and 44 by road from London, in the hundred of Whittlesford, Linton union and petty sessional division, Saffron Walden countv court district, Camps rural deanery and Ely archdeaconry and diocese.
There was once a Benedictine nunnery here, founded in 1190 by Aubrey de Vere, first Earl of Oxford, or his father-in-law, Sir William de Cantelupe knt. and dedicated to St Mary Magdalene; the prioress had a grant from King Henry III. of a weekly market and an annual fair abolished in 1875: the remains of the Abbey, now the property of Mr. James Welch, have walls 3 feet thick: several stone coffins have been dug up on the site. The Caldrees is the residence of Mr. Beddoes, and Ickleton Grange of George William H. Bowen eng. D.L., J.P. There are three manors, belonging respectively to the trustees of Sir R. G. W. Herbert (d. 1905) and Clare and Trinity Colleges; the lords of the manors, with Mr. James Welch, the trustees of the late Henry Francis Beales esq. J.P. and G. W. H. Bowen esq. D.L., J.P. are the principal landowners.
The soil is light; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,695 acres of land and 5 of water; the population in 1920 was 543. By an Order which came into operation March 25, 1886, a detached part of this parish was amalgamated with Hinxton."