"ICKLETON, a parish in the hundred of Whittlesford, county Cambridge, 11 miles south of Cambridge, 6 from Saffron Walden, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Chesterton station, on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. The old Roman road Icknield Street traversed this parish, and many Roman coins and remains of a villa, &c., have been found. The parish is partly bounded by a branch of the river Cam, which separates it from the county of Essex. It was formerly a market town, and the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded in the reign of Henry II. by the De Veres, or Cantelupes. At the Dissolution its revenues were returned at £80 Is. 10d. The village is considerable, but wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1810. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £85, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a lofty tower containing six bells. It is supposed to have been built before the Norman Conquest. The parochial charities produce about £69 per annum. The Hon. Mrs. Algernon Herbert is lady of the manor."