"IMPINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 3 miles north of Cambridge, its post town and railway-station. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the road from Cambridge to Cottenham. The soil is loam and clay, and the land principally arable. The village, which consists of a few farmhouses, was formerly a market town. The tithes were commuted for land upon the enclosure of the parish in 1806. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £128, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small structure with tower containing three bells. In the interior is a brass to Sir John Burgoyne and family, bearing date 1500. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. In 1799 a woman named Elizabeth Woodcock was buried in the snow for eight days, but was taken out alive. A monument recording the circumstance has been erected on the spot where she was found. This was the birth-place of Pepys, secretary to the navy in the reign of Charles II., and author of the "Diary." The old mansion of the family is still standing, but it passed some years ago by marriage into the hands of the Coffin family. Christ's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Andrew, restored in 1879, is a small building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the wooden south porch is an interesting structure of the 15th century: the chancel retains some carved work, and in the church are several curious fragments of alabaster figures: during the restoration a fine fresco painting of St. Christopher was discovered on the north wall, where it is still preserved: there is also on the floor under the tower a very fine brass with effigies to John Burgoyne and his wife, ob. 1525, and a fine tombstone inscribed to Thomas Wibrow, ob. 1669: there are 200 sittings. The registers date from the year 1562" [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Impington, St. Andrew: Records of baptisms 1558-1692, 1718-1994, marriages 1559-1691, 1718-1837, burials 1558-1692, 1718-1867 and banns 1755-1970 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1640, 1660-1862 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms, marriages and burials 1558-1748.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, and 1880-1948.