"IMPINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 3 miles north of Cambridge, its post town and railway-station. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated near the road from Cambridge to Cottenham. The soil is loam and clay, and the land principally arable. The village, which consists of a few farmhouses, was formerly a market town. The tithes were commuted for land upon the enclosure of the parish in 1806. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £128, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small structure with tower containing three bells. In the interior is a brass to Sir John Burgoyne and family, bearing date 1500. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. In 1799 a woman named Elizabeth Woodcock was buried in the snow for eight days, but was taken out alive. A monument recording the circumstance has been erected on the spot where she was found. This was the birth-place of Pepys, secretary to the navy in the reign of Charles II., and author of the "Diary." The old mansion of the family is still standing, but it passed some years ago by marriage into the hands of the Coffin family. Christ's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor."