[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"ISLEHAM, a parish in the hundred of STAPLOE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (W.) from Mildenhall, containing 1716 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage -of the Bishop of Rochester, rated in the king's books at £13. 3. if. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is in the plain Norman style of architecture, and belonged to a priory dedicated to St. Margaret, founde here, as a cell to the abbey of St. Jagitto in Brittany, and granted by Henry VI. to Pembroke Hall, Oxford, at which period its revenue was valued at £10. 13. 4. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. An Hospital for five widowers and five widows was . founded by the Lady of Sir Robert Peyton, who died in 1518, the annual income of which is now about. £108."