Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"KENNETT, a parish in the hundred of Staploe, county Cambridge, 4 miles north-east of Newmarket, its post town. It is situated on a branch of the river Lark, and has a station on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. It was Fairfax's headquarters in June, 1647. The land is chiefly heathy. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £194. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £116. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient stone structure, and has recently been repaired. Kennett Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1861 Census for Kennett is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The 1851 census for Kennett was lost at source.
- St. Nicholas Church, Kennett.
- "The church of St. Nicholas is a building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Early English style it consists of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: it was thoroughly restored at the expense of the Rev. William Godfrey, rector here 1835-1900, at various times down to 1863 : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Kennett, St. Nicholas: Records of baptisms 1831-1991, marriages 1754-1979, burials 1813-1989 and banns 1755-1810, 1824-1965 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1567-1640 and 1663-1837 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office and copies on microfilm for 1567-1640 and 1663-99 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for, marriages 1558-1836.
- Two courts cover Kennett as follows:
- Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Kennett which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kennett which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL696679 (Lat/Lon: 52.283033, 0.484933), Kennett which are provided by: