Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"KIRTLING, a parish in the hundred of Cheveley, county Cambridge, 6 miles south-east of Newmarket, its post town. The parish, which is chiefly arable land, has a large portion of common. The surface is generally flat, though in some parts elevated. The village, which is considerable, is neatly built. The old mansion of the Guildford family, in which Roger, the second lord, entertained Queen Elizabeth, is demolished, with the exception of the gateway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £160. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing five bells. In the interior are several monuments of the North family, who at present hold the manor. The charities produce £6 per annum, besides six almshouses for the poor, erected by the late Marquis of Bute. There is a chapel for Baptists, and a National school for both sexes. At Kirtling Tower is a meet for the Suffolk hounds."
"UPEND, a hamlet in the parish of Kirtling, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east of Newmarket. UP-EXE, a tything in the parish of Rowe, hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 6 miles south-west of Cullompton."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The church of All Saints is an ancient building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western towel supported by immense buttresses and containing 5 bells: in the church are the tombs of several of the North family, including Sir Edward North M.P. for Cambridgeshire, 1st Baron North. ob. 31 Dec, 1564, and his son, Sir Roger North de Kirtling, knight banneret and 2nd Baron, ob. 3 Dec 1600; the tomb of the latter bears his recumbent effigy in armour with gold spurs, the head resting on a baron's helmet and a couchant lion at the feet, the whole being surmounted by a canopy supported on six carved pillars; a third tomb commemorates Dudley, 4th baron, K.B. ob. 1677; and there are memorials to others of the family, dated 1665-6; there is also an ancient brass: the church affords 372 sittings. The register dates from the year 1585. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £359, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Harrowby, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Samuel Verner Wylie, of Glasgow University." There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. seating 80 persons. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Kirtling, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1585-1953, marriages 1592-1837, burials 1593-1872, banns for 1754-1812 and 1824-1937 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1570-1641 and 1665-1836 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office, microfilm copies being available in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1570-1641 and 1665-99. Indexes to transcripts exist in Huntingdon Record Office for marriages 1592-1753 and in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1576-1851 and marriages 1576-1837.
- The Kirtling Parish Records are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kirtling which are provided by:
- Kirtling Towers, the seat of Lord North T.D., J.P. is all that now remains of the ancient Kirtling Hall, originally built about the reign of Henry VI but the main part of the building was pulled down in 1801 by George, 3rd Earl of Guilford and 9th Baron North; Princess Elizabeth, afterwards Queen, was a state prisoner at Kirtling Hall, under the charge of Edward, 1st Lord North: attached to the house is a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1877 and dedicated to Mary Immaculate and St. Philip, and there is a house for the priest near the chapel; the public are admitted to mass at 9 a.m. Lord North T.D.. J.P. who is lord of the manor, and Stephen Goodwin Howard esq. C.B.E., D.L., J.P. are the principal landowners. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL682559 (Lat/Lon: 52.175676, 0.458464), Kirtling which are provided by:
- A cross of Dartmoor granite was erected in 1921 at the junction of Kirtling with the hamlet of Upend, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- " UPEND is a hamlet in this parish, about 1½ miles north-east." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Two courts cover Kirtling as follows:
- Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Kirtling which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.