[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"KIRTLING, a parish in the hundred of Cheveley, county Cambridge, 6 miles
south-east of Newmarket, its post town. The parish, which is chiefly arable land,
has a large portion of common. The surface is generally flat, though in
some parts elevated. The village, which is considerable, is neatly built.
The old mansion of the Guildford family, in which Roger, the second lord,
entertained Queen Elizabeth, is demolished, with the exception of the
gateway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £160. The
church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure with a tower
containing five bells. In the interior are several monuments of the North
family, who at present hold the manor. The charities produce £6 per annum,
besides six almshouses for the poor, erected by the late Marquis of Bute.
There is a chapel for Baptists, and a National school for both sexes. At
Kirtling Tower is a meet for the Suffolk hounds."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"UPEND, a hamlet in the parish of Kirtling, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east
of Newmarket. UP-EXE, a tything in the parish of Rowe, hundred of Hayridge,
county Devon, 6 miles south-west of Cullompton."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The church of
is an ancient building of flint with stone dressings, chiefly in the Norman style,
and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a
western towel supported by immense buttresses and containing 5 bells: in the church
are the tombs of several of the North family, including Sir Edward North M.P. for
Cambridgeshire, 1st Baron North. ob. 31 Dec, 1564, and his son, Sir Roger North de
Kirtling, knight banneret and 2nd Baron, ob. 3 Dec 1600; the tomb of the latter bears
his recumbent effigy in armour with gold spurs, the head resting on a baron's helmet
and a couchant lion at the feet, the whole being surmounted by a canopy supported
on six carved pillars; a third tomb commemorates Dudley, 4th baron, K.B. ob. 1677;
and there are memorials to others of the family, dated 1665-6; there is also an ancient
brass: the church affords 372 sittings. The register dates from the year 1585. The
living is a vicarage, net yearly value £359, with residence, in the gift of the Earl
of Harrowby, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Samuel Verner Wylie, of Glasgow University."
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel here. seating 80 persons.
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Kirtling, All Saints:
Records of baptisms 1585-1953, marriages 1592-1837, burials 1593-1872, banns for
1754-1812 and 1824-1937 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts
for the years 1570-1641 and 1665-1836 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office,
microfilm copies being available in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1570-1641
and 1665-99. Indexes to transcripts exist in Huntingdon Record Office for marriages
1592-1753 and in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1576-1851 and marriages
- The Kirtling Parish Records are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Kirtling Towers, the seat of Lord North T.D., J.P. is all that now remains of the
ancient Kirtling Hall, originally built about the reign of Henry VI but the main
part of the building was pulled down in 1801 by George, 3rd Earl of Guilford and
9th Baron North; Princess Elizabeth, afterwards Queen, was a state prisoner at Kirtling
Hall, under the charge of Edward, 1st Lord North: attached to the house is a Roman
Catholic chapel, built in 1877 and dedicated to Mary Immaculate and St. Philip, and
there is a house for the priest near the chapel; the public are admitted to mass
at 9 a.m. Lord North T.D.. J.P. who is lord of the manor, and Stephen Goodwin Howard
esq. C.B.E., D.L., J.P. are the principal landowners.
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- A cross of Dartmoor granite was erected in 1921 at the junction of Kirtling with
the hamlet of Upend, as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great
War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
is a hamlet in this parish, about 1½ miles north-east."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Two courts cover Kirtling as follows:
- Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury:
Jurisidiction in various parishes including Kirtling which were in the diocese of
Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the
Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations,
1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747.
Index to wills to 1535 are published in
Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology,
volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records
Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich:
Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations,
1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills
covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32,
1878-88 and 1931-48.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014