Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"KNAPWELL, a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 4 miles south of Swavesey, 5 north-east of Caxton, and 8 north-west of Cambridge. The parish is wholly agricultural and very woody. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1775. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £150. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a low tower. The charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a school supported by subscription."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of All Saints is a structure of brick with stone dressings, in the Parpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a low and plain western tower containing one bell: the chancel and nave were rebuilt in 1866: there are 118 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Knapwell, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1680-1840, marriages 1695-1837, burials 1678-1812 and banns 1754-95 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1598-1643, 1662-1861 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1598-1644, 1662-1812, marriages 1598-1812 and burials 1598-1644, 1662-1812. Transcripts of the Knapwell 1598-1996 parish records are are available from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Knapwell which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL332626 (Lat/Lon: 52.245432, -0.050407), Knapwell which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32.