GENUKI Home page    Leverington Parish<br>main page Leverington
Parish
main page

LEVERINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

"LEVERINGTON is a parish and village, in the Isle of Ely and on the Norfolk border of the county, 1 mile north west of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway station at Wisbech and 2 miles north-west from Wisbech station on the London and North Eastern railway, in the Wisbech hundred, union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. Leverington is now divided into three ecclesiastical parishes, viz: Leverington proper, Gorefield and Southea-cum-Murrow, which are given under separate headings.

The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of Wisbech Barton, which extends into this parish. The soil is rich loam. The chief crops are potatoes, fruit, peas and oats. The area of the civil parish is 4,294 acres of land, 4 of water, 7 of tidal water and 6 of foreshore; the population of the civil parish in 1921 was 2,484, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 1,331."

"PARSON DROVE is a chapelry in the civil parish of Leverington, 2½ miles north from Murrow station on the London and North Eastern railway from March to Doncaster, and the Peterborough to Sutton Bridge branch of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway and 6 south-west from Wisbech, in the hundred union, petty sessional division, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1870 from the civil parish of Leverington.

The parish shares one-third of the interest of £90, left by John Bend in 1593, the remaining two-thirds being assigned to Wisbech St. Mary. There is no manor. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay and silt. The chief crops are wheat, oats, potatoes, beans and fruit. The area is 4,078 acres of land and 18 of water; the population in 1921 was, of the civil parish 959 and of the ecclesiastical parish 200."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014