[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LEVERINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county
Cambridge, 2 miles north-west of Wisbech, its post town and railway station. The
parish is situated near the river Nen, and contains the chapelry of Parson
Drove. It formerly had a chantry at Fitten End. A portion of the land is in
common, though the greater part was enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1841.
The soil consists of rich loam, but the surface is fenny. The living is a
rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £2,099, in the patronage of the
bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is of great
antiquity, and has a spired tower containing a clock and six bells. It was
thoroughly restored in 1856. The interior of the church contains an old
brass lectern or reading desk. There is also a district church at Parson
Drove, the living ofwhich is a perpetual curacy,* value £271, in the
patronage of trustees. This living was formerly held by Bishop Warren, and
Nasmith, the editor of Tanner's "Notitia." The register dates from 1558.
The charities produce about £600 per annum. There is an endowed school for
both sexes, and a Sunday-school."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"FITTON END, in the parishes of Newton in the Isle and Leverington, about a mile south
of Newton in the Isle"
"PARSON DROVE, a chapelry in the parish of Leverington, hundred of Wisbech,
Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-west of Wisbech, its post town, and
3 south-west of Leverington. The village, which is considerable, is situated at a
short distance from the river Nene. The land is fenny, and in part common,
but most of the waste lands have been recently enclosed under an Act
obtained in 1841. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely,
value £271. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient
structure, with a square tower containing five bells. The register dates
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- Parson Drove: The Monumental Inscriptions in the church 1684-1865 and the graveyard of St. John,
1686-1879, are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office.
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and
at Wisbech Library. In addition the 1841 and 1851 Census for Leverington and Parson
Drove is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- St. Leonard's Church, Leverington.
- "The church of St. Leonard is an ancient edifice of Barnack stone, chiefly in the
Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisle, clerestoried
nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing a
clock and 6 bells: the chancel retains its sedilia, and there are several monuments
and an eagle lectern of oak the font is adorned with figures under canopies : in
1847 the lead was removed from the nave and a slate roof was substituted: the present
chancel roof and the seating of the nave are of the same date: in 1877 a new roof
was placed on the Swains chapel, an organ and new chancel stalls erected and the
bells renovated, at a cost of about £900: the very remarkable south porch was restored
in 1891 : in 1901 a new roof was placed on the north aisle and the spire rebuilt,
at a cost of £1,300: the tower and bells were repaired in 1924, at a cost of £1,600:
there are 400 sittings. A new churchyard was opened in 1916: in the centre is a memorial,
erected in 1920, inscribed with the names of the men of this parish who fell in the
Great War, 1914-18 the register dates from the year 1558."
- "The Primitive Methodist chapel at Leverington was erected in 1885."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- "The Church of
St. John the Baptist at Parson Drove is an edifice of stone and brick in the
Early English style, cosisting of nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled western
tower containing 5 bells; in 1895 the roof of the church was raised and restored; there are 400
sittings. The register dates from the year 1657. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £646,
with glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1918 by the Rev.
Arthur Parnham, of Chichester College.
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Leverington, St. Leonard :
The registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, from 1558, is held at the church.
Microfilm copies of baptisms 1558-1859, marriages 1558-1837 and burials 1558-1842
plus indexed transcripts of baptisms and burials 1558-1800, and 1565-1812 reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives plus photocopies of baptisms 1800-59 and burials 1800-38.
The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-41, 1662-1855 can be found in the Cambridge
University Library. The transcripts of the parish registers 1558-1800 are available
on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Leverington Marriage Index 1626-1675 is on-line on the Cambridgeshire Family History site as a searchable database.
- Parson Drove, St. John:
Records of baptisms 1657-1971, marriages 1657-1971, burials 1657-1943, banns for
1756-1812 and 1958-71 reside in the Wisbech Museum. The Bishop's Transcripts for
the years 1603-39 and 1661-1850 can be found in the Cambridge University Library
with some extra entries in the Leverington transcripts. Indexes to transcripts exist
in Cambridgeshire Archives for marriages 1603-1754. Microfilm copies of baptisms
1657-1971, marriages 1657-1969, burials 1657-1954 and banns 1756-1817, 1854-1971
reside at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798-1803 and 1935-48. Records for 1751-82
(on microfilm) can be found at the Wisbech Museum.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014