[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"LINTON is a small union town, parish and head of a petty sessional division, pleasantly seated on the river Granta, on the confines of the county, bordering upon Essex, with a station on the Cambridge and Sudbury branch of the Great Eastern Railway, 11 miles south-east from Cambridge, 13 south-west from Newmarket, 6 north from Saffron Walden and 48 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Chilford, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, second division, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil here is principally gravel and chalk; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 3,806 acres of land and 11 of water; rateable value, £5,557; the population in 1891 was 1,726, including 97 officers and inmates in the workhouse."