[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LINTON, a parish and post town in the hundred of Chilford, county
Cambridge, 6 miles from Saffron Walden, and 10 south-east of Cambridge. The
parish, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on a branch of the river
Cam, and near the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is still
considerable, was formerly a market town, and had a small priory cell to
St. Jacutus-de-Insula, in Brittany, which was subsequently given by Henry
VI. to Pembroke College, Cambridge. At Bareham are the ruins of a Crutched
Friary cell to Welnetham Abbey, in Suffolk. This monastery was established
in the reign of Edward I., and at the Dissolution came to the Mellicents.
Many of the houses in the town are very old and thatched.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
workhouse, which cost £6,600, is situated a short distance from the
village, near to which is the newly-erected police station. Petty sessions
are held every alternate Wednesday, and courts leet occasionally by the
lords of the manor. The soil consists of gravel and chalk. A considerable
portion of the land is in orchards and market gardens. In 1838 an Act was
obtained for enclosing the waste lands. The appropriate tithes, belonging
to Pembroke Hall, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £780, and the
vicarial for £260. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value
£204, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St.
Margaret, has an embattled tower containing a clock and five bells. The
church contains several ancient monuments, including the brass of a knight
in armour, bearing date 1430, and the tomb to Mrs. Harrison, who died at
the advanced age of 135 years. The parochial charities produce about £38
per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a British
school-the latter not in use. The charities produce £37 per annum, chiefly
the endowment of the almshouses. There are places of worship for
Independents and Primitive Methodists. The governors of Pembroke College,
Cambridge, are lords of the manor. Linton is the head of a Poor-law Union
embracing 20 parishes in the county of Cambridge, and 2 in that of Essex.
It is also the seat of a superintendent registry, but is included within
the Saffron Walden new County Court district. An extensive sheep fair is
held on the 30th July, and one on Holy Thursday for small wares."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The Monumental Inscriptions for St. Mary's churchyard, 1707-1944, are recorded in
the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list There are is also a Congregational churchyard.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Mary is a building of flint and rubble, in the Perpendicular style,
consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western
tower containing a clock and 5 bells: in the aisles are several monuments to the
families of Pairs (1551 and 1650), Stanley (1726 and 1780), Millicent (1555 and 1577)
and Flack (1693, 1704 and 1705) the chancel and Millicent chapel were restored in
1879 at the expense of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the lay impropriators, a new
organ being at the same time erected by the parishioners: a restoration of the church
begun in 1887, was completed in 1891, and the total cost, including the chancel,
amounted to about £1,400: there are 530 sittings. The register dates from the year
- "Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1818 and seating 500 persons, with a
graveyard attached; and there are also Salvation Army Barracks and a small Literary
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Linton, St. Mary:
Records of baptisms 1560-1930, marriages 1559-1996, burials 1566-1966 and banns
1754-1844, 1859-1903 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts
for the years 1600-41, 1662-1855 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1560-1844,
marriages 1559-1844 and burials 1566-1844, copies of these transcripts are available
on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list.
- Independent Church
Records exist for baptisms 1787-1921, marriages 1879-1908, burials 1787-1915 (burials
1798-1837 are on microfilm) with transcripts for baptisms 1787-1837 and burials 1798-1837.
- "The Beeches, the property and residence of Johann Gottlieb Brinkmann esq. is pleasantly
situated and stands in its own grounds of about 7 acres. Harrison's charity of £2
8s. 9d. yearly is for bread. A fair for smallwares, formerly held on Holy Thursday
and the sheep fair formerly held on the 20th July are now abolished, and the market
once held here has also fallen into disuse. Barham Hall, in this parish, was anciently
a priory of Crutched Friars, founded about 1292, as a cell to the convent of St.
Jagu de Lisle in Brittany; it is now a farm house. The remains of a Roman villa were
discovered in 1825 in a field separated by the river Granta from the site of Barham
Priory, and in 1862, when excavating for the railway from Cambridge to Sudbury, the
workmen met with the remains of numerous skeletons in this field at a depth of 3
feet from the surface."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- The Poor Law Institution in the parish of Linton (later the Public Assistance Institution
and then Linton Hospital) has records for births for 1933 and deaths 1930-83 in the
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1694, 1759-63, 1790-1846 and 1865-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 08.50 on Wednesday, 23 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]